A free, tribal people dedicated to nature, the spirits and trade from the depths of Goss’s rain forests.
noun l \’ Kwh·Leen \
Meaning: “Between Lies”
“As we practice Ku’ Lin and do not pursue worldly matters without soul purpose, we become connected to our true selves and so with to the Verse. In this perfect original state of being, we realize that we really are the Verse/the world we live in and that our environment is no different from our own physical body. Because of this, Ku’ Lin’s most universal definition is in fact:`True´.”
“We could easily be at peace if we considered one another. Once we begin to take, we take peace from ourselves.”
- We have been trading with the Banu, Xi’ an and Tevarin people for many millennia. This has caused the art of long distance trade to become an iconic subculture among Ku’ Lin and we take pride in fulfilling our contracts to the highest of standards.
- We are considered naturalists by UEE officials because we regard nature as living perfection and containing everything needed to live a healthy and fulfilled life. Thus Agriculture is the second most common specialization among our people.
“We acknowledge plants as conscious beings and treat them as no different from any other living entity, which is why we believe, that they are the link that connects the plants whom have learned to walk, to their nurturer, the mother spirit of their home planet.
Ku’ Lin curers attend to their plants as relatives and they respond, by sacrificing their produce to us at a far greater quality, in comparison to when they are raised with only the bare necessities to live. For this reason our bio produce, medicines and remedies are renowned as a phenomenon on markets throughout the verse.”
- When the UEE discovered Goss and encountered us; the humanoid ‘Ku’ Lin’ people there, they were forced to engage in one of the most elaborate cover up operations in UEE history.
The UEE recognizes us as an alien species but because we are Human as they are, they decided to brand us as religious outcasts of early Human settler communities, in order to avoid conflicts with Human history. They have promised to one day reveal the truth about us to the public, once they have found a way to do so efficiently, or they find more certain evidence of our history and circumstances.
“When we first encountered the UEE, they quickly realized that they would have to change history in order to justify our being here. Within a years time after we had learned the English language, they hastily offered us a formal, yet unofficial agreement to make the Human settlement of Goss less problematic. This document stated that Ku’ Lin should only reveal ourselves to human settler communities, after 30 years of them having been stationed on Goss and we should then publicly claim to have split away from the settler community, to found our own isolated society deep within the jungles of Cassel (Goss ll).
In return the UEE agreed to grant us ownership privileges over vast territories of Gossian land surrounding our already existing residencies and easy access to UEE citizenship. Additionally we were granted the right to migrate at will, to the newly terraformed planets Goss l and Goss lll and to be listed as applicants for the Native Species Protection Acts, which the UEE upholds for all other indigenous cultures it encounters in the verse.”
- We do not often communicate openly with outsiders, as we spend most of our time dedicated to insight and servitude to true purpose. We were often labelled as mystical or precognitive by Humans until we realized, that they did not believe that vision or a connection were a normal part of the Verse and thus stopped expressing our understanding of the spirit body when in their presence.
“We believe that every being is born with a connection to the universe. This connection represents one’s personal nature and apparently is the reason, that leaders of many a nation try to excessively impose science on citizens, in order to make them no longer believe that their own spirit is credible.
When asked about our spirituality we can not answer directly, because our spirit is a normal part of reality to us and we do not know of the separate term; “spirituality” being an external option one may choose to pursue.”
“If we are not spiritually conscious, the physical world should not be engaged with at all.”
Reading link – A prophecy on Goss lll
“By accepting all life as sacred, we achieve a heightened understanding of the concept of life its self and so with of the world we live in.”
- Our goal as a people is only to prosper, to live in harmony and completion and to attain what is needed without taking advantage of anyone or anything.
- Ku’ Lin’s purpose as a community is to support one another in pursuing their higher intentions, which reveal themselves to them once they have become familiar with their environment and the ways of the Verse.
- We aid others in need when the situation arises and although we are pacifists, we are not at all afraid to defend ourselves and those we protect.
Philosophy in lore:
- By dedicating to advanced meditative techniques called “Khin”, Ku’ Lin eventually achieve a constant meditative state throughout our day to day lives. This can already begin to occur after a period of only three months of Khin meditation for someone born Ku’ Lin, but can also take many years for an outsider, if they are troubled by letting go of their physical beliefs. Shortly after achieving conscious meditation, the furthering of the practice eventually evolves to become: “Ku’ Lin”, which is the returning of the spirit to its intended state of existence: a complete converging with the Verse its self.
We spend most of our lives living in harmony with nature, far away from the tourist locations and farmlands of Cassel. We make use of nature’s gifts to dream of and communicate with ancestors and nature’s spirit. We call this spirit the all encompassing and driving Verse and believe it is interconnected with everything that exists within it without limitation.
- The intake of psychoactive plant life from early childhood until our passing is an essential part of of Ku’ Lin culture. Ku’ Lin DNA has evolved to encompass the active agents of Goss’s flora and the effects of these plants have a much different result when we use them compared to humans. This tradition is often accompanied by ritual and varies between phases of regular intake, micro-dosing over longer periods of time and abstinence for the sake of vision in purity. This tradition, in combination with a life of excessive meditation often makes our eyes appear clouded, as if they had no pupils and some even say they glow in lesser lit environments.
– Ku’ Lin belief states that the material world is but a small fraction of a greater eternal reality and that it can only be engaged with non-destructively, if it is constantly treated as just this; a gift that may disappear at any given moment and that must thus be honored all times.
“Standardized technology is a primitive science and relying on it is a form of compensation for one’s inability to gain from nature, or to replace a part of ones own nature that one has not discovered yet.”
“Animal Brothers.” By studying our home world’s wildlife and living in true acceptance and harmony with it animals of all types accept us as allies, allowing us to train them to the highest known standards among humanoid species. If you are well known and trusted among our people, considered more than just an associate and have knowledge of our philosophy of the treatment of the animal kingdom, you may acquire a fine animal companion from us, if he agrees to accept you as his family.
“We call this philosophy or energy: “Filva”, meaning: “sentient coexistence” in Ku’ Lin mother tongue.”
- Our many settlements remain concealed to any whom are not native to our tribe. The forests that shelter them consist of ancient trees which are tens of thousands of years old and the lush vegetation of our homelands is so dense, that even even highly trained UEE Marine squads have been known to abort recon missions due to the troublesome terrain.
“Infamy is not our goal, neither is abundance of wealth or influence. If we obtain these things by our actions we embrace them with regulation and consideration of the spirits at all times.”
History and Lore:
- Our legends say we split apart from Humanity shortly before it arrived on Earth and that great natural disasters destroyed their first civilizations, causing them to forget their origins. When the Ku’ Lin Seekers sensed Humanity’s arrival was near, we prepared to host them as guests of the highest regards. Following the announcement of the shamans, our scout ships rallied at the jump point and watched Humanity’s ships enter Goss, with small numbers at first and greater military force shortly thereafter. At first we avoided them completely for many years, in order to let them become familiar with Goss’s environments but after picking up deep planetary scans on our arrays, we knew that they must have discovered our presence and eventually revealed ourselves to them. After meeting their leaders and learning their languages, we realized quickly that they had lost all knowledge of their origins, that they no longer were a part of us and the could no longer see the Verse.
Later, when we discovered the multitude of cultures still present on Earth, we regained hope, as we had found that there were still a fair few that knew of the origin of everything. Sadly these good people were greatly disregarded amongst Humanity’s tech based cultures and we learned that their governments had caused people of spirit immense suffering for many generations, whilst only acknowledging their humanity in formalities. These times in Humanity’s history had changed for the better within the last six hundred years, but the marks of emptiness in their people’s souls showed that they missed a large part of their own eternal growth due to their horrific past.”
- Our most ancient tales tell of a time many aeons ago, when our people were forced to evacuate our home system for unknown reasons and thus began a great interstellar migration through the depths of space. Shortly before we reached our new home, the convoy of capital ships that carried what was left of our population was alerted by a scout ship which had detected a possible collision course with an incoming super-comet. This monolithic threat caused a small group of capital ships to change course, split away from the remaining convoy and end up finding a habitable home in Goss, whilst the rest of Humanity ended up settling on Earth in the Sol system. After it’s arrival on Earth, great natural disasters and wars brought about a near wipe out of Human civilization on the planet, causing a complete amnesia of their heritage and scientific achievements. Ku’ Lin on the other hand continued to practice our ancient culture without interruption, for many generations and approximately 100.900 years later we re-encountered our own kind, when Humanity’s technology had evolved enough to let them travel among the stars once again.
Our reunion with Humanity was although at first anticipated with joy, still somewhat a disappointment, as we soon realized that our lost brothers refused to acknowledge the stories we told them of their origins. Their DNA had evolved significantly to suit Earth’s atmosphere and they had become greatly disconnected from the verse, causing them to believe that they must conquer in order to be happy.
– “Instead of trying to forcefully bring on progression, we simply prevent its disruption by living a life that does not hinder it.”
- Contrarily to Humanity, we eventually reached such an advanced understanding of the Verse that technology became almost obsolete to us. We had achieved a status quo of self sustainability, renewable energy and completely biodegradable synthetics before we once left our original home world and after we had called Cassel’s incredible ecosystem home for a long enough time, we took our technological evolution to the next level by returning to a completely naturalistic way of living, whilst only using technology where it was absolutely needed.
“As nowadays Humanity prides its self in having achieved technological greatness, it is known that they once forgot about the great science of self which existed before there was a need for technology. Although their legends tell of such a time in a story they call: “The Garden of Eden”, they eventually lost a definite connection to the universe that cradled them and thus proceeded to wander blindly, whilst worshiping science and power for most of their new beginning.”
- We believe that it is our responsibility to foster our knowledge of the universe around us by furthering our connection to the sub-matter dimension and trading with other alien races. Those that know nothing of our beliefs mistake our knowledge for magic and report that we have discovered a way to interconnect our spirits with technology, in a very subtle, yet revolutionary way.
To us this phenomenon is nothing special though, as technology is also only a fragment of the universe its self and as we believe;
– “If you know what the book is made of, you need no longer read it to know what is written inside.”
This Ku’ Lin saying means; if you are connected to the book (the universe) in a fundamental way, everything that exists within it is part of its nature and is so with familiar to you.
- Even though we are strictly against industrialization, we still run sophisticated tech, of which we have known since before we came to Goss in small, hidden, underground construction facilities, growing houses, chop shops, laboratories and scanning arrays.
- We acquire much of our synthetic technology through the salvaging of battlefields recent and ancient. Many relics and prehistoric battlefields lie scattered across our homelands, overgrown by vegetation and never discovered by modern people. We know our home system like no other and we often scan out combat signatures or even sense them with the help of clairvoyance. Our meditative techniques enable us to cultivate a sensory bond with the electromagnetic frequencies and dark matter fluctuations our home system consists of, which grants us the the ability to sense events many light years away, by the impact they have on the fabric of the space-time continuum.
Sometimes a shaman may awaken from a state of meditation with a shout, only to tell his scouts of having sensed death and suffering somewhere in the verse. Our shamans call this process: “seeking” and do not only use it to find salvage, but also to sense the presence of hunting game, pinpoint incoming threats, and even to channel great prophecies. This ability is a product of evolutionary conditioning through constant practice and the passing on of knowledge and techniques over hundreds of generations, if not more.
“One will witness a mocking smile on a Ku’ Lin’s face when outsiders debate that our medicine may be magic, as we learned that some of Earth’s religions where corrupted to make them believe that their own nature is evil and that they should mutilate this part of their spirit in order to find god.
Contrarily, we believe that the path to finding the great spirit is not to banish a part of ones self, but to choose the good path willingly and knowingly.”
- Ku’ Lin people are a rare sight to behold. Civilians whom have met one recall that being in their presence gave them a sensation of being exposed to a subtly exhilarating, rejuvenating sensation. They are often revered by those whom have met them as compassionate, kind people, whom despise any form of malevolent intent. It is common hearsay that Ku’ Lin possess precognitive abilities, which when confronted they openly state, are a normal part of their nature and not supernatural at all.
Ku’ Lin population on Goss l, consists of approximately 50.000 tribes people, of which an estimated 15.000 work on its vast farmlands. Their intimate bond with nature helps them achieve almost 400% of the productivity of non-native run farms, which is a baffling and yet again damning statistic to the otherwise proud UEE scientists. These facilities provide a great source of income for them, which they only reinvest in trade and the process of sustaining a governing influence in Goss. This investment’s purpose is to stop the tourism industry from taking over their most prized of all possessions, that which they call their temple or their church and their only protection from infiltration by modern culture, the perfect ecological state of their homeland.
The name “Wodun” is a mix of terminologies that are considered to be main elements of spirituality to the Ku’ Lin people, namingly: “Woh” (nature/past/heritage), and “Dun” (Ideal spiritual state of being and doing simultaneously, or: true existence).
Hardly any of the tribes people there mix with the tourist industry, as they despise any type of life afar from nature or the serenity of a perfectly silent space craft on a long trade run. Cassel’s ecology is the embodiment of Ku’ Lin beliefs and a place of tranquility and high worship for them. This is the reason they also began to half jokingly call it their “Castle”, after learning Human languages and realizing that their home had been named “Cassel”.
When Humanity discovered Goss, they terraformed Goss l and Goss lll and as the tourist industry became a burden in the eyes of the natives, a fair amount migrated to the newly blooming, neighboring worlds created by the UEE. Human industry leaves plenty of jungle to live the secluded life Ku’ Lin prefer, but they are still rarely seen running storefronts in the city, trade stands in alleyways or simply loitering in such peddling dried psychoactive plants. These plants are more than often considered contraband by the UEE but they are nothing special to the Ku’ Lin, as they grow up using them for religious and ritualistic practices from a very young age and they are highly biologically accustomed to their effects.
Rarely, if one seeks a connection and happens to make the right acquaintance, one may be directed or escorted to a secluded Witchdoctor’s lair in midst the city, where Spiritual guidance and charms or said herbal remedy will be available for purchase or trade.
No one knows how many Ku’ Lin live on Goss lll since the UEE has it on lock down. Even though it is a restricted area for civilians and tourists, UEE military reports list many sensory registries of incoming and outgoing Ku’ Lin spacecraft, which they simply can not intercept as the timing of their takeoffs and landings is so perfect, that it is only ever recorded on scanners. The UEE have given up the attempt of policing this traffic because the Ku’ Lin have almost no ecological footprints on the planet’s surface and they never interfere with UEE procedures. Since the planet is completely covered in rain forest, the tribe’s hidden villages and thought to be partially underground settlements simply have not been discovered yet. Additionally the UEE acts under policy to not interfere with any indigenous life forms whatsoever on Goss lll and Ku’ Lin happen to fit the bill. The only signs of indigenous presence are the sometimes willingly placed irregularities and humorous signals which science convoys and rangers encounter from time to time.
Legend has it that a troop of rangers ten man strong once encountered the Ku’ Lin on Goss lll. This is an urban legend among soldiers stationed at Goss lll, yet some soldiers will claim to be the descendants of those having been present. They will tell the story as it is also said to be archived in UEE records, but redacted to all but officer or even general ranks because of its humiliating nature. Apparently the troop was scouting the edges of UEE known safety zones two generations ago, when within an instant the entire squad stopped dead in its tracks, afraid to even blink. They had patrolled so close to a group of Ku’ Lin twenty man strong, that the perfectly camouflaged warriors simply needed but take a few steps from their hiding places in order to be detaining the entire ranger squad at gunpoint. In an apparent moment of life and death, the warriors not engaging in acts of detainment brought forth necklaces made of Vodun Flowers and hung them around the ranger’s necks. The detaining men then unarmed the rangers, walked 20 steps ahead and placed the UEE weapons on a pile of leaves to protect them from being soiled and then disappeared again, into the vibrant green vegetation they had emerged from.
If you ever meet one, state: “Yedi N’ala” as a greeting and he will know that you are sincere. The phrase means so much as: Magic is not god and is a core principal of Ku’ Lin belief. It’s figurative meaning would be: “The supernatural is only a tool and its practice does not make you a god or worth more than any other being”. In this association the word supernatural is defined as the evolved natural or: “That which is natural, yet developed beyond the norm and so with seemingly magical”.
Ku’ Lin claim that to the great creator spirit, our mental abilities are not magical at all, but simply a part of our own nature that many of us have forgotten with time and begun to fear when re-encountering them.
10 years after system discovery – 4 years after deep planetary scans – Friendly, Secretive.
Name: Ku’ Lin
Biology: Humanoid, Human.
Estimated Population: 300.000-400.000
Demeanor: Peaceful, intelligent, spiritual, naturalist. Subjects possess heightened scientific and technological understanding. Reject technology to a degree to pursue natural ideology.
Caution: Soldiers and representatives on site said to have been spooked, by subject individual’s ability to speak past presented agendas and address primary mission goals not yet revealed to them.
State of Technological Knowledge: To what is known, on par with humanity.
Subjects possess an elaborate space faring trade culture with all other known alien species and are highly capable in terms of technical engineering spacecraft and weaponry and operating medical and scientific facilities to the highest degree.
MILITARY INTERESTS: None whatsoever except self defense. Tribal communities possess several guerilla fleets of alien space craft and weaponry and have adapted to include Human technology since contact.
Lore and famous sayings:
“Some call us religious, some call us weak, but we know not why they speak lowly of us, for we do not destroy worlds for the sake of entertainment as they do. My brother Man became one of them and sought to kill what he was told to kill, but he never saw for himself whom he was killing. I will never become like him.” – Ku’ Lin Proverb
“We are those whom act,
not because they want to belong,
but because we really are,
we need not justify,
as we are those who were simply born,
not into privilege,
but into intuition and understanding,
understanding of the heart, the mind and the family,
thus we should hold hands as brothers and sisters,
to form a chain strong enough to withstand great mobs of berserkers and madmen,
just by the power of understanding.”
- As our eldest tell us legends of the beginning of our people, from long before the beginning of modern documentation, they describe ancient remnants of beings from a time even before holo-documentation was possible.
Modern humanity sees this evidence and ignores it in order to uphold the teachings it gives its children. They would rather teach a lie, than to admit that they do not know all that was.
In fact, this galaxy alone holds so much evidence of ancient life that scientists have given up trying to document it. Some people say that there can not be a beginning and others believe that if we knew how everything began we would be gods, which is why we can never find out what really happened.
But because time outlives our mortal memory and data capacities, we Ku’ Lin believe it is proof of god / the creator spirit. Should it not be part of god himself, it is proof of his power in a way which we can not see, but always know of his never ending existence. It must be one of his greatest creations, second only to his greatest of them all; the spirit of life.
- The legend of the great migration tells us that we came to Goss around the same time the tech cultures arrived on Earth. They even claim we may have been the same people and that we all came from the same home world once. Apparently, during our journey to find a new home, Humanity’s convoy was almost hit by a great comet, which forced some of our clans to change course in order to avoid catastrophe.
This way we found and settled in Goss, whilst the rest of our people settled on a planet called Earth.
- We do not know why we left our ancient home world many many generations ago, but it has been told among our people ever since anyone can remember, that we once fled from a vicious, conquering, alien species called: “Vanduul”, and that we are destined to return to this world after the Vanduul have been defeated.
“We look to the trees and only to the trees for direction. Where there are no trees we still seek them, as the great cities of the verse were built where there once were great trees and their spirits still linger where they once stood. When we are “Ku’ Lin” we see trees as brothers and sisters no different from ourselves.”
“When we say we look to the trees, we relate to a state of tranquility gained by living as one with nature and the verse over a lifetime. In this state, trees to us and the other similar lifeforms to someone whom may come from a planet without trees, are entities whom have achieved the highest state of being and must now only ever exist and grow in a state of perfect existence. They are connected to the Verse in a way that they have merged with it completely, and their active bodies represent the Verse’s ultimate mathematical identity. Within our true connected nature, everything within the Verse exists as one large consciousness and intercommunicates constantly, not by speaking or meditating, but by being the same. Thus, when we travel through the forest we find our way simply by giving our attention to the part of ourselves which is the forest.”
There is no difference if we are in a forest or outside of an atmosphere in space, because the Verse also acknowledges what you may call: “nothing” as an interconnected manifestation within it.
“Where there is emptiness, the greater spirits reside. They are the ones whom live beyond the Verse, but are still no different from it. They are only beyond it, because their minds are alleviated infinitely. This means that their only purpose understandable by mortal spirit, is destiny and its consequences.”
“When we travel through space we still use technologically based navigational techniques, because being connected is not a reason to feel superior or immortal. Quite contrarily, the highest of insights into the Verse lets us acknowledge and cherish physical achievements, as they represent life’s homage to the world that created it by engaging with it in way of mastery of the physical realm.”
Link – A prophecy on Goss lll
General Game Play:
Our primary goal is to support the well being of each and every tribe member and to uphold a regular culture of communication and cooperation, in order to maintain a positive and efficient community atmosphere.
Membership: We differentiate clearly between full members and affiliates. Full members must pass a lengthy initiation period, whilst affiliates may join casually to contribute to Ku’ Lin community game play. If they do not wish to become full members, they may eventually gain the status of trusted affiliate, if they contribute without incident for a long period of time.
Those born Ku’ Lin and joined members whom have been initiated to the status of tribe member, must be familiar with the tribes ways and laws.
Affiliates need not engage in tribal rites and are free to pursue their own agendas, but they ensure to uphold a morally inclined demeanor throughout, as long as they are representing Ku’ Lin.
- Full members may choose freely whether to participate in group activities within the tribe or work on their own. Being Ku’ Lin is all about discovering the verse for ones self and progressing on ones own path without ever being isolated from the rest of the tribe. This means that your personal progress is also seen as the tribe’s progress, because your acquired skills and assets eventually become valuable tools when you decide to cooperate with other members.
Members should always keep in mind in what way they may help the rest of the greater community, with what they have achieved on their own and how they can contribute on a regular basis. Tribe members are compassionately interested in teaching other members and initiates new skills and helping each other execute missions for mutual profit, in the safest and most efficient way possible.
- Those whom choose to contribute to the tribe on a regular basis or completely are not rewarded with higher ranks or payments. Dedication is seen as a natural part of being Ku’ Lin and rewards or profit distribution should not be seen as a motivation to do such. The well being of the tribe as a whole is a Ku’ Lin’s greatest reward and when it is accounted for he will have all he can ask for, as the tribal assets are distributed to and accessible by all fully initiated Ku’ Lin equally.
- Members must always be willing to support each other when they are in need of protection and activities that further the tribe’s well being and stability, must take priority over personal agendas when they are of significant strategic importance.
- Members should look to structure their game play around dedicating primarily to the Goss system and its close neighboring systems. Ideally they should coordinate their activity towards acting as a beneficial contributor to the system’s economy and reputation. This means they should try to do many missions and jobs that originate here, so that once they choose to expand their reach, they feel they truly know about and care for Goss as their home territory.
Beyond that nothing is stopping members from migrating to any system in the verse, as long as they stay true to our philosophy of positive moral conduct and mostly legal but always honorable activity.
Ku’ Lin tribe members must become familiar with the Goss system at large, including a fair amount of planet side geography, as Goss’s planets, moons and other celestial bodies are deemed home to us and represent a fundamental part of our aspired game play.
When the elders see their behaviors begin to change, when they see the adepts begin to commune and understand the world around them, they are announced to be Ku’ Lin and given the title: “Nahje” (Spirit Walker).
No knowledge of the Ku’ Lin language (Hav’) except a few, basic formalities are requested of full members.
Kulekkn Prayer: “Ka ha ya, ku’ hu Yedin. As I give myself to you, I acknowledge that my purpose is no different from yours, Verse. I shall no longer seek, for through you I have found, Mahajubin, Ku’ Lin.
Koh’ un, Kulekkn.”
- Meditate and seek inner self to make it ever present. Conscious self gives us a state of consciousness parallel and equal to all that is external.
Conscious self grants us entry to a connection to that which is. We call it the Verse, Everything and Nothing and it can help us know what will be, what will become and even what was or, what is.
- Care wholeheartedly for brother plant so that he will let us harvest his offspring, whom in rite and return will become part of us.
- Carry the leaves long distances at day or in the cover of darkness to sell them only to those in need. The arrival and exchange of the haul marks salvation for many and must be celebrated.
- We were always here.
- It is our duty to show others who we are for our belief is honest and proven by millennia of practice and experience.
- Dedicate yourself to us, become one of us, or simply trade with us, the choice is yours.
- If you are in need of counseling or guidance, our shamans will dedicate themselves to your cause with open hearts and minds.
- There is shelter here, for all with good intention.
May the spirits guide you.